Thursday, January 28, 2010

Discovery of sugar


We've hidden the wonders of the world from Kate up until recently. We baked a birthday cake for a friend yesterday and used genuine icing to frost it (we reserve the fake sugarless stuff for family). Well, Kate was having a rough day with mom because a tooth is poking through on the top and was demanding to be held during every activity. This could have been a strategic move to get closer to the icing, but I trusted her intentions until... her finger dipped into the icing and she realized what sugar really is. It was all over after that. She squealed, struggled, and stretched until she got another taste.

Later that day, said birthday girl and her daughter came over and the girls decorated the cake. Well, her daughter decorated. My daughter kept trying to finger and spoon the icing into her mouth and off of the cake. In a classic selfish mom moment, I put a halt to all decorating because Kate was flipping out because I wouldn't let her decorate anymore. Group punished because of behavior of one. I'm sorry daughter of birthday girl, my cortisol levels were too high already and I just couldn't do it.

I realized this week that no one in my family has been to the dentist since Kate was born. Bad role models. No better time to schedule an appointment than with the discovery of sugar.

No comments: