Friday, March 12, 2010

I have to eat what?


Kate is the victim of a mom playing with food trends. Daddy P and I have been weekend meat-eaters for a few weeks now (although Daddy P has been caught twice eating fast-food behind my back to satisfy a meat craving). Although it has been said that being a vegetarian on weeknights only is like "being a virgin during the week" it seemed to make sense for us. We wanted to only eat local meat that was raised as free as meat-raised-to-eat can be, and hormone free what-not. But that's expensive. Thus the meat on the weekends. Kate doesn't eat meat (although my mom continually claims to feed her chicken successfully, I have never seen it), so this was almost easier in some ways.

And, as is often the case, once you start down the road of crazy you get going deeper and deeper. Two words: Kale chips. Yes, I actually bought Kale in order to toast it into chips. After reading a local food blog with a picture of a child happily munching away on these Kale chips I decided this was the key to getting Kate to eat greens that were not pureed with cream and butter.

What did I get for this experiment? A bag full of Kale chips and a baby who turned them into Kale crumbs.

Luckily, my carrot experiment went much better. After eating carrot butter at a vegetarian restaurant in SLC, I was hooked. I bought a bag of frozen baby carrots, boiled them for a half hour, pureed them, added in a few teaspoons of tahini and a few teaspoons of agave and a half teaspoon of cinnamon. And voila! Carrot butter! We smear it on toast, or use as a dip with crackers. Kate gobbled up about a quarter cup today. It's really yummy, and a nice way to get some carrots in ya (since we all know carrots are gross).

It's hard to speculate what food craze Kate will be the next victim of. I think things will go better if I stay away from toasting greens or thinking that Kale could be junk food.

This vege experiment is looking like it is coming to an end. After blowing almost $200 at the grocery store I don't know if we can afford this lifestyle... unless I learn to be a cheap vegetarian soon I'm pretty sure Daddy P is going to put his foot down.

No comments: