Saturday, September 6, 2008

Signs of a Breech Baby

Apparently, there have been many signs that Kate is a butt-sitter, but we just didn't know that we were experiencing them! So, should you be curious, or even in this situation yourself sometime, I thought I'd pass along what we've learned.

The obvious one, which we still didn't pick up on, is the whole, her head is up thing. Since early July I've been complaining about this hard part of her sticking up under my right rib. At the time I thought it was just me getting kicked in the rib, since I'd heard that from other moms. But this was constant, and really uncomfortable. She prevented me from bending over very well as she (and I) got bigger. And, well, there was this very obvious round and very hard thing right under my rib. Uh, duh.

Less obvious, but apparently just as much of a sign, was her constant kicking around my navel. I would tell Daddy P that I could feel her kicking but that he couldn't feel it because it was so low. Well, really, her feet weren't supposed to be that low, so yeah, tip off.

I have also been constantly lopsided. This whole time I've been carrying a big thing on my right side (her torso and head) and then something smaller and less pokey on the left side (her appendages). She'd move her feet up and down so I'd get kicked in my left rib or really low in my navel, but that was about it. She never really tumbled or moved around that much. She just stayed one big mass on my right side. Which brings me to what Daddy P and I came to hypothesize.

Kate is stuck. We decided that as she grew, her little butt got wedged in my pelvis and she couldn't get out. She didn't really want to be a breech baby, she just didn't have much choice in the matter. So this week we set about trying to help our baby get unwedged from her little predicament.

More to come...

1 comment:

cece said...

Great logic and you would think those of us that had babies even though centuries ago when have been able to suggest that. I hope she is not really stuck and you are able to get her loose so she will just float down into the right position...

Love you Cece