Friday, September 12, 2008

Little needles vs. Big needles

I get it. We lost some of you when we said we wanted used bottles (I admit, I have reconsidered this). Then, we lost some more of you when we said that we are going to use Gdiapers. And then, the big one, the doula question. And now, I'm afraid we might be losing some of you since we have mentioned acupuncture and crazy candles. I know. I never would have guessed I would be a non-disposable-diaper-using, doula-retaining, acupunctured mom, but here I am. We do have a doctor's appointment on Monday and hopefully our gracious doctor will by the laying of the hands instantly tell that little Kate isn't where she was (and even better, is where she should be). Then, yes, I will cancel our appointment. But, having researched moxabustion on the fab internet, and seeing that there was actually a randomized control group study that showed some promising results, I have made a tentative appointment.

Now if you ask me to explain how it works, that is something I am not sure I can do. My simplified version is that using little needles (accupuncture) you can avoid big needles (epidural/spinal block/C-section). And this is what my real goal is. I am not a needle lover. They make me pass-out, or, if you are really lucky, throw up. I am a wimp. I know this about myself. Little needles and sticking flaming hot smelly ashes to my little pinky toes typically are things I avoid. But, for the baby... Or, maybe, because of the baby...

Kate is super mobile though. She is squirming like never before. So, however she currently is positioned, she is enjoying new found movement. Unfortunately for her, she has a compulsive, anxious mama, which means that every 15 minutes (I kid you not) there is a cry for Daddy P to "come tell me if this is a butt or a head." Poor girl. I hope it's more obvious once she's born. Optimistic Mamacita says "this long hard thing here is a spine and this ledge is a butt" and trying-to-protect-herself-from-disappointment Mamacita says "she has a very long head and it's still up." We will see who wins come Monday.

The room is coming along! We now have all the necessary parts of the crib but they are not yet installed. Grandpa is coming over tomorrow to finish the job I think. We were lucky enough to get a whole bunch of hand-me-downs. Our latest batch (four bags!) comes courtesy of a friend of Daddy P's. Apparently she had gotten them from a bunch of girlfriends and when she found out she was having a boy, took all the blue/green/neutral colors out. As a result, I have two loads of bubble-gum pink clothes outside waiting to be laundered.

Okay, enough of this novel for now. Pics and more this weekend...

1 comment:

cece said...

I will be awiting more on the blog hoping she has moved on to a better place and in the right position. Obviously mamachita and Daddy P are working hard at this..Lov you Cece