Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sleep Update

Naps are a piece of cake. (Knock Knock. Who's there? Oh, no, it's just me making sure you didn't totally flub up by jinxing nap-time.) Like I was saying, naps, well, Kate's got it down. Nurse, story, singing, horsey and blanket, and Momma is out the door and she is down in under 10. Ohmygosh I never really believed it would happen.

This, to my little newbie mama-mind, meant that she knew how to fall asleep.

Ooooooooooh no it don't.

Hint #1: We're in Houston. She will not fall sleep in her tent at night. My friend and I listen to her cry as I continue to go downstairs to comfort her every five minutes. Finally crack and nurse her again and she's out.
Misinterpretation: She can't fall asleep in a new place.

Hint #2: Grandma and Grandpa Locals come over and babysit on Sunday. Baby Kate is still awake when we get home at 8:30pm and fussy.
Misinterpretation: Separation anxiety.

Hint #3: At home, with Mom, at regular bedtime, Kate cries and cries when I try to put her down awake after her bedtime routine.

Ahhhh... Kate doesn't know how to fall asleep at night!

Ding ding ding!!!

So we are restarting our nap-training process with nighttime sleep. It took 20 minutes of crying last night to get her down, with me picking her up three times to calm her, and spending the whole time patting her tummy. At the 20 minute mark she went immediately from crying to asleep. Always a weird thing to see. But, she did it "alone" and that's what counts.

I am chasing the dream of a night away from the baby and am determined to get this down to make it happen. Please oh please let it work the same as naptime...

No comments: