Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Kate Mandated Support

If there are any boys who actually read this blog, you might want to skip this entry. Here's a picture for you instead (Caption: Kate wakes up pretty happy these days, and hauls her horsey over here when she falls asleep and when she wakes up).



But anyway... girls... before our little treasure, I was able to buy a sports bra at Target and hit the pavement with no problem. Now, suddenly, that is not okay. After a couple weeks of trying it, I realized that investing in a good bra is cheaper than plastic surgery, so off I went. After a friend recommended hitting a running store for a bra, I spent a day getting up the courage to do it, and then headed off to face perky and shapely saleswomen and expensive designer exercise clothes. I went to Bettysport, which I almost immediately fell in love with. Yes, the women were in shape (the saleslady who waited on me had just gotten in from a workout but helped me before hitting the showers), and the clothes were fancy pricey niceness, but it was such a warm and friendly atmosphere I could not resist it! The saleswoman took stock of my situation (Activity? Running, okay... Breastfeeding? You are? Okay, no underwires. Size? Okay, I'll get you an assortment.) and stocked the fitting room with a nicely laid out array of options. Baby Kate and I browsed while she arranged.

The fitting room itself was something. Large enough to do jumping jacks in, with a thick pad on the floor for doing just that or running in place. There was also (now, explain this to me, please) a sign stating that they have disposable underwear available if you don't have any with you and indeed, under a small side table was a basket of new, in-the-package disposable underwear. I'm not really clear on this problem, as I must say I've never arrived to try on clothes without underwear, but it might indicate that I am not really an athlete...? My best guess is that if you biked to the store then you might not have any on, but, I don't really want to think about that either.

I emerged 10 minutes later from the shop with a happy baby on my arm, and my wallet significantly lighter due to my spanking new totally awesome sports bra. I never knew what support was until I truly found it! (and, well, until I needed it...!)

1 comment:

Christine said...

Wow. There are just some brilliant businesses out there. And, I wore disposable underwear once in Thailand...
Anyway, this gives me hope that I can dispose of my running costume: underwire bra, sports bra, tank-top with built in bra.