Thursday, July 16, 2009

Nanny Interviews

I can see why people use childcare.

This is freaking hard.

We've been using www.care.com to find a nanny we can nanny share with another family. (Congrats to Pam and Tim whose baby was born two days ago!) Tuesday was our start. The first called to cancel due to food poisoning. Can't argue that one. At 4:30pm, our 6pm interview called to ask very detailed questions about scheduling, and pay. At 4:50pm she called back to see if we had a cat. She's allergic. Pam and Tim do. At 5pm, our interviewer no showed. At 5:30pm we went out to dinner since we were done interviewing before we started.

Yesterday, it was just Daddy P and I interviewing. We eagerly waited for our first interviewer at 5pm. Moments before 5pm, she called to tell us she was lost. Daddy P answered. At the time, I was on my hands and knees, blood smeared up and down my foot and hand, trying to clean up a jar of baby food I had dropped. They, well, they didn't really communicate well. I took over and directed her in. A half hour later we found out the poor woman had moved here a week earlier and had gotten a little confused by the fact that streets in town have three names. Generally mapquest only clues you into one, which can be a little tricky. She was sweet. A little flustered, a little timid, but sweet and you got the feeling she genuinely liked kids.

In contrast: our 6pm interview. What words come to mind for her... chatty. Chatty about irrelevant topics? Uninterested in baby Kate. She did not try to interact with Kate at all. And she made it clear that this was just a "filler job" (her words). Ah, hm. In the middle of the interview -- I kid you not -- she said, "I should really get a job as a waitress." And then... again, totally true... out of the blue she says, "I don't do drugs. Oh, but I do drink."

Oh, my dear...

Tonight, two more. Cross your fingers folks, because we need someone Monday!

No comments: