Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Upon this rock...

We've been very spiritual lately, apparently.  It just sorta happened.  We spent a few weeks reading stories about Buddha (here) and now the kids each have their own little Buddha figurines.  Jesus's Buddha tends to ride the firetruck and fight fires.  He's very adventurous, but obviously loving and compassionate.  Tonight, Kate picked out a book about Jesus to read before bed.  It's this one, my favorite of our Jesus books.  Anyway, so we read it and she asks me to tell her another Jesus story.  Well, I quickly realize my stories need some bulking up.  I told her a story about wine from water which didn't seem to appease her.  Then I tried the birth story.  Eventually, grasping for straws, I told her about how Jesus had a friend named Peter who he put in charge of starting the church.

The story ended with this discussion:

"Jesus's friend named Peter?"
"Yep."
"You mean, Claire's daddy, Peter?"
"Uh, no. Uh, a different, Peter.  A loooong long time ago."
"So, we go to that church?"
"Um, well, no, now there are lots of different churches."
"Why don't we go to that one?"
"Well, it's kinda complicated.  You see, there are lots of different things people believe..."
(interrupting) "Did they knock it down?"
(oh!  physical church!)  "Um, I... uh... don't know!  It's probably far away anyhow."
"Like, you have to take three planes and go for 10 hours?"
"Um, yes, actually, probably exactly that."

Lesson learned:  Mom needs some brushing up before stumbling through stories.  And, although I dearly love Claire's daddy, Peter, he's not THAT old.

No comments: